Wednesday, May 8, 2013

WEEK 5

Date: Monday, May 6, 2013
Weather: Gorgeous! Warm breeze, not a cloud in the sky

Temperature: ~70 degrees F  
Time: 7:00pm - 8:00pm
Location: Ravenna Park


A repeat view of my site
This week gave dawn to a new series of observations at my little 'home by the creek' in Ravenna Park. Rather than observing the foliage and fauna around my location as usual, our new weekly task was to find and observe invertebrates. 

As almost anyone who knows me is aware, I am absolutely terrified of and have a strong dislike for any kind of 'bug'. Ever since I found out that I am highly allergic to fuzzy caterpillars, otherwise known as woolly worms or Arctiidae, at the age of seven, even ladybugs (Coccinella septempunctata) are beyond the reach of my love and acceptance. My journal entry this week will therefore tell the story of two foes, as I was sent into nature in search of my nemeses. It quickly became evident that they could smell my fear. 

Last week, 'WEEK 4' consisted of a Field Trip to the Olympic National Park, rather than a continuation of observations at our standard locations. For this reason, along with a lovely visit from the sun, my observation site seemed to bloom and grow right before my eyes. The sword ferns I had been so familiar with were almost two times taller and larger, as well as the absence of catkins on the Bigleaf Maples and an increased leaf-size on the Vine Maples, which were even larger than those on the Bigleaf Maples and other surrounding species. 

Vine Maple (Acer circinatum) in Week 5
Vine Maple (Acer circinatum) in Week 3
I also noticed a growth in the Lady Ferns (Athyrium felix-femina), horse tails (Equisetum arvense), and the Pacific Bleeding Heart (dicentra formosa) as well as a change in the Lung Liverwort (Marchantia polymorpha) moss on my erratic. The sun seems to have taken all moisture from the Liverwort's characteristic bubble-like and leathery surface, creating one that appeared gray and dried up in comparison to my first week of observations.


Lung Liverwort (Marchantia polymorpha) in Week 5
Lung Liverwort (Marchantia polymorpha) in Week 1


Large Lady Fern (Athyrium felix-femina)
Giant, pubescent horse tails (Equisetum arvense)
Growth found in a patch of Pacific Bleeding Heart (dicentra formosa)

Now to the relevant, assigned portion of my exploration. Once at Ravenna Park, I spent most of my time waiting, and searching for species. When I did have the opportunity to view an invertebrate, I spent my time examining species and looking closely at their behaviors and how they moved. Within two separate spaces, one square meter in size each, I was able to closely observe four different species.

I was drawn to my first site as I followed the path of a bumblebee (Bombus). The bumblebee was large for a bee, very fuzzy and dark black with a small yellow stripe. With wings included, he was about the size of the upper portion of my thumb and flew rather slow for a bug, and low to the ground. I first saw it flying low amongst the leaves of a Salmonberry shrub, and followed it to the base of a large, living Douglas Fir, that was covered in Big Shaggy Moss. Rather than flying up the tree trunk or searching for flowers, the bumblebee stayed very close to the ground, walking around on its legs, not utilizing its wings, and exploring the surface of the moss. He would walk around until he found a little hole, the perfect size for his body, and then burrow into the space head-first. Sometimes he would sit in the hole for a minute or two, and sometimes he would come back out and look for another hole. I'm not sure if these holes were created by the bumblebee or some other type of invertebrate, and I am not sure what he was doing in there. After working his way about three feet up the trunk of the tree, I believe that he heard or saw me and was scared off, flying directly toward me and then off into the distance. 

In the same site, while I was observing the bumblebee, I also saw a very tiny, reddish-colored spider. At first, I had mistaken the spider for an ant because I could not count its legs, however once balanced on a spear of grass, it was apparent that my little friend was a spider. From the order Acari and family Tetranychidae, I am unsure of the spider's specific name. It preferred covered areas, moved very quickly, and could climb while upside down.

A few other invertebrates I witnessed on my adventure were the million-billion mosquitoes (Anopheles quadrimaculatus) that ate me alive. I blame myself for choosing a location near the water, and also for choosing to visit my site at dusk. However, I blame my father for having 'sweet blood' and the mosquitoes for the six bites I got. The mosquitoes were about the size of my fingernail and very daring. If I failed to notice, they could give me a bite in 10 seconds or less (without any provocation). 

I also saw swarms of little gnats, one crane fly, and possibly a deer fly.

Bumblebee (Bombus), black dot at center-right
Two holes, seen at the center of the image, where the Bumblebee was burrowing
I thought it was going to attack me... Run away!
My second spot , however, was slightly off of the beaten bath, at the edge of my typical observation range. Rather than turning over heavy rocks or wading through Ravenna Creek, I chose to hangout with a fallen tree, half submerged in a portion of the Ravenna Creek. This log was sitting casually on the ground and provided the ideal platform for invertebrate observations. Although the log was substantially too large to roll over or move on my own (believe me, I tried), its bark was beginning to peel away on the top surface. I slowly lifted a portion of the bark, about the size of a my spread hand, in order to make my observations. When finished, I naturally returned the piece to its original position. My invertebrate observations beneath the bark occurred as follows: 

I found a small earthworm (Lumbricus), as well as a millipede (Harpaphe haydeniana), and a number of almost microscopic spider-looking species and small spots of larvae. The worm was quite disturbed by my presence, as I begrudgingly inspected his home and his reaction to my involvement. At first, he began to quickly slide away, searching for the dark, moist safety of the log-cover. However, after crawling over not even four inches of bark, he seemed to get tired. For almost ten minutes he sat in the same spot, unmoving and unresponsive to the world around him. I thought he may have been playing dead, and as soon as I caught site of another species, he began once more to wriggle away into the confines of his wooden home. 

The millipede was likely my favorite discovery and actually fun to observe. The plethora of tiny feet that carry the millipede make him distinct from any other species and also make him very fast. While the worm projected itself by sliding through it's own skin repeated, as a single muscle, the millipede gracefully projected himself forward and around tight curves. Watching his path on the underside of the bark I lifted from the log looked similar to the video game "Snake" where you use the arrow-keys to control a small snake that big up coins along a path. However, instead of looking for coins, this millipede was more concerned with finding a dark space to hide and a place of retreat from my giant disturbance in his daily life. Alongside the millipede were tiny crawling ants or spiders that were too small to distinguish. Also, as I held the chunk of bark, the millipede came alarmingly close to my hand, which prompted the end of my discoveries. 

As I have now 'made friends' with nature, my goal for next week is to learn to love bugs in hopes that they will grow on me (NOT literally). I think that if I search for bugs that I have not seen before, such as those found under rocks and those in the water, I won't be as scared of them.

My first worm! An earthworm (Lumbricus)

Millipede (Harpaphe haydeniana)

It started moving quickly and I jumped back...



As I was bringing my venture to a close, I spotted a species in a patch of False Lily of the Valley that I had not seen before in Ravenna Park and definitely would not have found in the Old Growth Forest of the Olympic National Park. 


....... Plastic leaves. A species native to the U District.


No comments:

Post a Comment